Water: The Substance of Life
Posted on May 01 2014
Water is life
Water is unique. Water is the only natural substance that is found in all three states – liquid, solid (ice), and gas (steam or vapour).
Water is life. Water covers оvеr 70.8% оf thе Earth’s surface. Water is vital fоr аll forms оf life. In fact, without water, life on Earth would never have begun.
Water is of major importance to all living organisms and has played a critical role in survival ever since their inception.
In humans, water acts as both a solvent and a delivery mechanism, dissolving essential vitamins and nutrients from food and delivering them to cells. Our bodies also use water to flush out toxins, regulate body temperature and aid our metabolism.
Your body “is water”
The average adult body contains approximately 65% water, although this figure varies according to age, gender and fitness level. Water content can vary from a high 75% in infants to a lower 45% in obese people. Fatty tissues contain less water than lean tissues. However, how does that actually break down?
- Your brain is composed of approximately 75% water.
- Your lungs, that pump the oxygen crucial to your survival, are nearly 90% water.
- Your bones are approximately 25% water.
- Your muscles, that hold your bones and move your body, are about 75% water.
- Your blood, that flows through your body and delivers oxygen and nutrients, is about 83% water.
Water leaves the body through the lungs as exhaled water vapour, through the urogenital system as urine, through the digestive tract as faeces, from the mouth as expectorated substances and from the skin as sweat. It is therefore of paramount importance that we replace the water that the body loses through it natural physiological processes. The body needs to replace about 2.4 litres of water each day. Some of it will be through drinking while the rest will be taken from food when eating.
At first, that might seem like a lot of water, but we are made this way for a reason and it is important that we keep replenishing our body with water. We can survive many days without eating but we cannot go for more than a few days without drinking water.
The importance of water in the human body
Let’s try to explain and understand why water is so important for all living organisms.
Cells make up your entire body. Each of these cells is filled with a water solution made up of a variety of elements - proteins, amino acids, fats, minerals and micro-elements. All of the reactions that enable us to stay alive are electrolytic in nature, and happen in water, in the process of electrolysis.
Electrolytes are minerals, like sodium, potassium, calcium, magnesium, chloride, hydrogen phosphate and hydrogen carbonate. Sodium is the main electrolyte found in extracellular fluid and is involved in fluid balance and blood pressure control. Your body needs these electrolytes to perform its basic functions.
Through electrolysis, a cell and the rest of the body exchange elements. When everything is normal and working properly, micro-elements and minerals travel to the nucleus (via the cell membrane) by means of electro-osmosis.
In the case of water shortage, electrolysis cannot occur. The result: cells dry out, and eventually die.
The benefit of drinking water for health is therefore very clear: our cells must be kept hydrated and the body's electrochemical balance must be maintained to keep us in good health.
How can far infrared clothing help?
The fabric used to make the ABSOLUTE 360 garments absorbs infrared radiation emitted by the human body and re-emits the absorbed radiation as FIR waves, which interact with the human body, promoting:
- Improved cell metabolism – FIR stimulates cell performance and regeneration, while the increased circulation nourishes the cells with higher levels of oxygen, further improving cell health.
- Increased blood circulation – A positive by-product of improved cell metabolism is increased blood circulation to the applicable muscle group with higher levels of oxygen and optimised muscle performance.
- Improved microcirculation - FIR boosts the flow of blood to tissue throughout the body, delivering vital nutrients while increasing oxygen levels.
The benefits listed above are only the beginning towards a life of well-being. Start your “wellness” journey today…